A dental crown is a prosthetic treatment used to restore an affected tooth from the gum line up. They are often sought after because they have the ability to fix a tooth’s function and your smile while looking completely natural compared to your natural teeth. Crowns are used for a number of reasons:
- Root Canal Treatment – A severely decayed tooth is left vulnerable to fractures due to its weakened state. A crown is necessary following a root canal treatment in order to prevent the risk of cracking or any other form of further damage in the affected tooth.
- Support Large Fillings – If a tooth has been severely affected by decay and requires a large amount of filling, a crown is necessary to help the weakened tooth support it.
- Support Bridges – Crowns are used in dental bridge placement as a means to help anchor and help keep the bridge in place.
- Dental Implant – Following a dental implant, after the gum has healed, a crown is needed to cover the implant so the prosthetic tooth can finally be used.
Benefits of Crowns
- Protect teeth – Crowns help protect teeth that have been weakened by preventing fractures or breaks.
- Renew the tooth’s appearance – Crowns have the ability to improve the appearance of teeth that are stained, broken, or misshapen.