A bridge essentially “bridges” the gap where a single tooth or multiple teeth used to be is are attached to existing adjacent teeth (abutment teeth) for support. Dental bridges are designed to look and feel natural so that you can enjoy the benefits of a strong, stable bite. When teeth are lost, the surrounding teeth can shift into the open space, weakening the bite and upsetting the aesthetics of your smile, but dental bridges can prevent these negative effects.
Types of Bridges
Bridges can be removable or permanently attached (fixed bridges). Removable bridges can be removed for cleaning purposes, while fixed bridges are a more stable option that can only be removed by a dental professional, such as Dr. Sharel Sly.
Benefits of Dental Bridges
- Improves your smile’s appearance
- Preserves and supports your facial structure, including your lips and cheeks
- Allows you to eat, chew, and speak normally
- Alleviates your bite from excess stress
- Serves as a desirable alternative to removable partial dentures
- Prevents remaining natural teeth from shifting out of position