Dental Implants are helpful to many patients at Herman Park Smiles. As with any procedure there must be maintenance and care at home. In order to maintain the health of the implants, good oral hygiene is required.
Dental Implants take approximately four to six months to heal while the bone fuses to your new implant. Our office will discuss what at home care routine patients should follow in order to keep your Dental Implants looking and feeling great in your mouth.
Tissue surrounding the teeth should remain pink with no signs of infection. Home care must take place immediately to ensure the tissue remains healthy. We recommend these general guidelines when caring for your Dental Implants.
- Use a non-abrasive gel or paste when brushing your teeth to ensure any exposed surface of the implant is not scratched.
- Avoid products with stannous fluoride, sodium fluoride, baking soda, and stain removers. These products can remove the oxide layer on implants and can cause the implant to be prone to corrosion.
- Brush your teeth twice daily to remove bacteria or plaque with a low abrasive brush such as a soft tooth brush.
- Floss daily using a wax free floss, or implant-specific floss to protect the tissue surrounding the implant.
- Use a Waterpik Water Flosser to reduce inflammation and reach difficult areas surrounding the Dental Implants.
- If inflammation is present, rinse teeth with a non-microbial rinse.
Daily care of Dental Implants is similar to caring for your natural teeth. They should be kept clean and plaque free by brushing and flossing daily especially after eating. While brushing, ensure you reach all sides of the Dental Implant. Dental Implants are designed to last a long time.
With the assistance of our staff at Herman Park Smiles, and your at-home care routine you can have long lasting Dental Implants for years to come.
Contact us today to set up an appointment and see how we can meet your Dental Implant needs.