What are dental implants?
Dental implants are placed in the mouth to replace teeth which consist of a titanium anchor inserted into a person’s jaw. If multiple teeth need replacing, a framework system will be placed in the mouth as a basis for tooth replacement. This anchor or framework serves to create a stable place for replacement teeth to be set in the mouth so the new tooth will function in a very similar manner as does a natural tooth.
What benefits occur due to dental implantation?
Benefits of dental implantation include:
- Giving your replaced tooth a natural look in your mouth.
- The dental implant remains designed to function like a natural tooth.
- Once the implant heals, it will be more comfortable than a denture or bridge.
- Using a dental implant preserves the jaw bone structure as well as your facial structure.
In some cases, bridges and dentures can’t be fitted into the mouth. When this issue occurs, dental bridges fill any gaps left in the mouth and give dental patients a beautiful, natural smile.
Two types of dental implants exist to provide people with replacement teeth. These two types of implants are:
- Endosteal implants. Endosteal implants are implanted right into the bone of the jaw. The jawbone and other oral tissue eventually grow around the implant anchor, making it a security feature of your mouth. Once the area around the anchor has healed, the artificial tooth is placed on the anchor post.
- Subperiosteal implants. Subperiosteal implants are made of a metal frame that is specially made to fit over the jawbone under the gums. As the jaw heals from the insertion of the frame, the framework grows into the jawbone. Once this first process heals, the metal framework becomes stable enough to mount the patient’s new artificial teeth.
The only way to find out if a dental implant is right for you and your situation is by making an appointment. Our implant experts can evaluate your case and may be able to provide you with a solution to your problem of missing teeth by giving you new teeth and a beautiful smile.